Thursday, November 8, 2007

The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow

Well, according to Yahoo! weather, it'll be partly cloudy, but that's not the point.

I'm still sorta sick, but I'm really, really, REALLY excited about tomorrow. Yes, even though I will have 4 or 5 tests in school. A day full of tests for me is actually kind of nice, because it keeps the day rolling and by the end of the day, all the tests will be DONE! (A very encouraging thought)

But the main part I'm excited about is the afternoon. Right after school gets out, I'm going to have my very first bassoon lesson! For those who don't know what a bassoon is, it is an eight-foot long red instrument in which some of the Winnie the Pooh music is played on. It looks like this:



I've been dreaming to play bassoon since the fifth grade, and now is finally my chance! I've been playing the oboe in middle school band, and I can only get a sound out of a double reed. I tried flute and I tried saxophone. Both were incredibly hard for me. When I tried the double reed with the oboe, it was perfect. Double reeds rock!

After my bassoon intro, I'm going to rush over to my old school to audition for a drama/academic team my math teacher last year is running. It's called Odyssey of the Mind, and basically, you're given a problem that you solve by writing an original skit, making props and costumes, and performing it. I hope I make it!

Once my day is over, however, I'm spending the night at one of my best friend's house! We're planning on playing our instruments (She plays the flute, so we can play the same music. it's really fun!), making bracelets, eating leftover Halloween candy, playing Playstation, just hanging out, and watching Criminal Minds. We've been planning this for about a week, and I can't wait!

Hey, that's my first full-length blogger post EVER! Hoorah!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds as if you have a very busy but fun-filled day tomorrow. I am glad that you are feeling better. You sound real excited about the bassoon lesson. Keep us posted on your progress.

Love, Mimmie Boyd

Anonymous said...

All right Annabelle! I'm so glad you're finally getting to start learning bassoon. I agree with you--double reeds rock!

Don't forget about the other big double-reed instrument I was telling you about when I was up at your house: the tromboon. That's the strange combination of a trombone and a bassoon, said to combine the worst features of each. Here's a wiki link to an article that tells a little more about the tromboon and its most famous musical proponent, the legendary P. D. Q. Bach. (You might have to copy and paste it; I notice on the preview it doesn't seem to be coming through as a hyperlink.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tromboon

Maybe you can try one of those someday. Keep up the good work. Remember to practice your long tones. They're boring, but the clarinetists in my family will tell you they're great exercise.

Love,
Papa