Monday, March 31, 2008

Edward Evermore

My mom just saw Edward Scissorhands for the first time tonight. She liked it, and did agree that it was 'sort of' sad at the end, but I don't get something. HOW can Titanic be sadder?! I mean, people know people died on Titanic. A lot of those people were good/cool/hot/Jack Dawson-like. Everybody knows it was a tragic event.

Yet, the end of Titanic almost seemed a bit...expected. It's a great movie, and I'm not dissing it at all, but it is when you come down to it. If it were peachy keen, it wouldn't take place on RMS Titanic. Also, hello, Hollywood! People make things sad so you remember them. If Jack lived and Rose didn't have her little "I won't let go" scene, it wouldn't be the same movie.

Yet, with Edward Scissorhands, nobody but Kim's jerk-faced boyfriend Jim died, and he totally deserved it. Yet, it's STILL freakishly sad. Kim and Edward couldn't be together because of several problems...

  • The neighbors were jerks
  • Everyone probably wanted Edward's throat
  • The neighbors were jerks
  • Did I mention the neighbors were jerks?


*Sigh* It's still my favorite movie, and I don't know what my mom is thinking, but it is DEFINITELY sadder.

On a happier note: Sweeney Todd is coming out tomorrow! (That's NOT a trick, either!) I can hardly wait to get it. We watched the Angela Lansbury and George Hearn DVD recording of it today so my grandparents could get an idea of what the movie was like. We also didn't want them to fall into the trap of "Johnny-Depp-is-the-best-Sweeney-because-he's-Johnny-Depp". Johnny Depp did an incredible job, but George Hearn is always going to be the classic Sweeney. Don't even get me started on Mrs. Lovett...

No comments: