Monday, December 29, 2008

What a pain in the mouth today was!

Awhile ago, I visited the orthodontist for a checkup. Imagine my delight when they said that sometime soon, I'd need to get eight teeth pulled. Eight! And I already had a ton of gaps! The last thing that a needed was two-by-two holes on either side of my mouth.

Today was Dentist Day. It didn't exactly start out well, with my iPod dying right before I went in. Thankfully, Mom let be borrow hers, so that turned out well. After a bit of initial clean-over, they strapped me down, leaned me way over, and turned on the Happy Gas. The numbing process went rather well, especially thanks to the gas. I felt like I was in a scene of "Bohemian Rhapsody":



I then spent about an hour listening to the first act of Les Miserables and watching some show on TBS that WASN'T Sarah Silverman, during with the dentist changed gears from Numbing to Loosening. I might be crazy, but I think that Les Mis is only fully experienced when on Happy Gas. I was randomly able to hear all the alternate lyrics, harmonies, etc. It was rather amazing. The only strange thing was that I giggled through "I Dreamed a Dream". Maya will be pleased to know that when the dentist was away, I had a tendency to sing the occasional Javert line.

Only half of my mouth was numbed over, so that if we didn't want to take out all eight that day, I wouldn't be stuck with a huge numb mouth. I'm glad we didn't numb me over full way, except for two small things: I felt like Michael Crawford as Phantom with the giant swollen half-of-lip, and whenever the dentist had to put pressure on the other jaw to try and yank the tooth out, that hurt a lot.

We were in there for a good hour and a half and had gotten MOST of a tooth out. One tooth out of the eight we had hoped to pull. Apparently, not all baby teeth are easy to remove. My brother's (last year or the year before that) came out fine. As I understand it, mine are fused to my jawbone, and the roots wrap around the permanent tooth.

So today wasn't technically a successful day in Tooth World. I guess it could be worse...



...but my mouth does hurt a lot.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Owwww! (At least you had laughing gas.) I cringed as I read part of your blog. Or maybe it's the song from Little Shop that's making me cringe. Say Ah! Ahhhh! Say Ah! AHHH! SAY AH!!!! AHHHHHHHHH!!!! Love, Ninny

Anonymous said...

Ouch!! You poor thing. I feel for you. That video reminded me of my dentist when I was a kid. At least you have the tooth, right? Don't forget to put it under your pillow. Love you!!

Anonymous said...

UGH! That must HURT!!! I have to get one tooth pulled at the beginning of 2009 cause its the only baby tooth left in my mouth and it doesn't have an adult tooth. Luckily, they're sending me to an oral surgeon, who will put me to sleep, take the tooth out, and give me medicine to make the pain go away. Then I just have to get a fake one put in! LOL Hope you feel better BFF! *hugs*