Friday, December 19, 2008

A strange stroke of luck

Yesterday, at the orchestra concert, my bassoon reed broke. Normally, I'd be in a minro freak out about that, but actually, it was kind of funny.

My reed was dying for a couple of weeks, and I've never been able to get with my bassoon teacher and buy a new one. I've been really careful with the reed, treating it like gold. It was sensitive, but I knew that if it survived through the concert, then things would go fine.

It did survive. It played well. Then, when we were told to stand up, the left wing (with the bocal and reed) slipped, and the neck clip unfastened. Trying to steady the bassoon, I kind of brought it a little to close to me, and SNAP!

Just as I finished needing the reed, it broke two seconds later. Strange, no?

No comments: