Thursday, September 4, 2008

Double bell euphoniums and big bassoons...

I joined the E-Town Youth Orchestra today on---what else?---bassoon! We're currently working on some songs for our Christmas concert, and the queue looks really impressive. We have a Dvorak piece, something called "Jupiter", and even the Star Wars theme lined up! We've only started the Dvorak piece, and so far, it has some pretty mean bassoon solos!

We're adding a couple cellos and a tuba next week, but this time it was just me and a cello for bass. Apparently, they haven't seen a bassoon in the orchestra for awhile, because quite a few people said something along the lines of either "So great to have you" or "Oh my gosh, we have a bassoon".

I think it's going to be a challenge, but pretty fun! I need to work on about six notes in my range, (Two of which I can hit but can't remember the fingerings for) work out some rhythm things, and then I'll be more or less set. The music we're playing sounds REALLY nice, and it's great to be playing with a piano and---even better---strings.

In other bassoon-y news, I'm switching instruments. Yes, I'm going to stop oboe in school and completely dedicate myself to bassoon. I'm really excited about making that my main instrument---it's been my dream since fifth grade!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is so great, Annabelle! (My little bassoonatic!) What's the Dvorak piece? If you ever get a chance to do the New World Symphony, you'll love it.

I hope you don't forget all about your oboe. But I'm really glad you have a chance to bear down on what you like best.

Have you heard any good "Rocky" Maninoff lately?