Monday, May 12, 2008

Moving on to Bigger and Redder Things

As most of you know, I play the bassoon. I've been playing it since November, but have only gotten serious in the past two months or so, when I've been taking lessons.

Well, I'm playing bassoon at the next and final band concert on Thursday. We're going to KY Kingdom, which I think is going to be really fun. I've never been, so I'm interested in seeing what it's like.

I brought the bassoon to school for the first day this year today. Oddly enough, I'm still sitting with the flutes. Oh well---I can hear the bass players well enough. It's interesting to see how much more I pay attention to all the instruments now that I'm not playing the melody line.

It's also fun watching people stare in amazement as I pull out my RED instrument. My BIG red instrument. My WEIRD big red instrument. First they guessed it was just a bigger oboe (Nooo), then a clarinet (NO), and then they gave up and figured it had a weird sound (Somewhat true).

I introduced them to the wonders of bassoon by playing a little bit of "Sorcerer's Apprentice", which I figured they would recognize. Whether they did or not...well, they know what it sounds like!

As my title says, I'm not moving onto bigger and better things (As the flute and oboe are awesome). I'm simply going to bigger and REDDER things.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As they say in the Army, if you're gonna be one, be a Big Red One! (Ask your dad.)