Saturday, August 16, 2008

"But remember, it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."

I finally finished what is now my favorite book ever: To Kill A Mockingbird. My mom read the first chapter out to my brother out when I in 3rd grade. I thought it was boring---"It started with some kid breaking his arm and ended with entering some haunted house. What the heck?"

Well, that broken arm (Jem, when he was nearly thirteen, badly at the elbow, to be exact) and haunted house (Mr. Aurthur "Boo" Radley) all make sense. They all tie together to create, what I think to be, the greatest book EVER.

I liked it a lot more than I thought I would, actually. I figured I would just be reading it to please my mom and brother, who both love it.

Rather, though, I picked it up and couldn't stop. Everything about it was interesting: Miss Maudie's fire, Calpurnia taking Scout and Jem to church, Dill in general, the trial...(Oh, yes, the TIRAL!)

I have the movie at the top of the NetFlix queue. Mike apparently hated it ("That was supposed to be in NOVEMBER, not AUGUST! Why did they make it August???"), but I'm curious about what it's like. And who knows? Maybe I'll actually like it.

No comments: