Sunday, July 27, 2008

A Little Fall of...Priest?

Maya and I went to her friends' house today. Both of them (Lauren and Michael) are into musical theatre, especially Michael. Lauren seems to be more into dance. However, Michael is a GENIUS on piano and owns just about any book of sheet music you can imagine. Only things I didn't see were "Beauty and the Beast" and "Wicked".

We attempted to do a little concert, but it kind of went...well, weird. We all did "One Day More", and we had to be like, three people at once. I was the Thenardiers, Enjolras, Eponine, and Random Chorus Person. It was kind of awkward, but in the final snippet when everyone sings different lyrics, Maya took over Eponine and dropped Marius/Cosette. (Thanks, Maya!)

I also soloed on "I Dreamed A Dream", which really was a lot of fun. I love me a good alto-belt song, and it actually is an alto song that goes LOW rather than HIGH (Bad thing about "On My Own"). Maya said that I actually hit the notes correctly...but I do think I slipped up a few times. Her own rendition of "On My Own" was pretty much FLAWLESS, though. She's amazing.

It was strange how fast Michael was able to catch onto songs. He heard the 30-second clip from Avenue Q, "I'm Not Wearing Underwear Today" a couple times, and poof: 10 minutes later, his fingers were flying across the keys on not just the VOCAL line, but the ACCOMPANIST part. Don't even get me STARTED on his sight reading, either. (Tried "Jack's Lament", and it was incredible)

I only have two more days in Syracuse, a day for traveling, then four days at home. Then school starts. However, I think that I'm looking forward to 8th grade. It's going to be nice both taking a math class that is somewhat difficult and also taking German. I think that having a basic understanding of the language is going to help a lot, and if I need advice, I can just call Katherine. That's one of the lovely things about having bilingual friends, after all!

No comments: