Thursday, May 7, 2009

Power to the purple socks

One of the lovable (read: strange) things about me is that I have a pair of purple-striped knee socks that I wear every Thursday. I don't even care WHAT I'm wearing---those socks will go with it somehow. Everyone seems to love those socks, and so Thursday is typically one of my favorite days of the week.

This week, those socks were dirty. I figured that I could go a day without them. After all, how terrible could it be?

I was sadly surprised. Let's just say the day started out with my reed cup spilling IN MY PURSE and my best reed almost breaking and then went downhill.

Tonight was the band concert, so naturally I was freaked out that the absence of the socks would throw me off. Mom did laundry and threw them in, but with the dress code being black pants, white shirt, I couldn't very well slip purple socks past the band teacher.

So, in hopes that it might work, I threw those socks into my bassoon case and took them with me. Yes, readers, you might call me a geek but I NEEDED those socks. Badly. The solo was that night and I didn't need any more misfortune. (When I had to leave the case in the band room, my mom threw the socks in her purse so as to keep them near).

My reed fell to the floor twice, but thankfully we were in the gym---rubber floor! It bounced several times as I yelped "NOBODY MOVE!" and blew it off. It didn't break or even crack. I had a sense that the socks were beginning to work their magic.

Did they do a good job? I'll let you be the judge there: here's the video of me playing "Sorcerer's Apprentice", my dream piece since 5th grade (as well as the piece that made me want to play bassoon in the first place).



I'd like to say that I'm pretty beastin' there, if I do say so myself.

For the second year, I won the award for "Most Outstanding Musician: Female". I find it interesting that I've gotten it on two different instruments---last year I played oboe, and this year bassoon. Here I am with...pretty much everything:



And here's me with my amazing band director ("I love you Mrs. Redmon!!!"):



I think tonight was a very appropriate final gig for that bassoon; the high school is wanting their instrument back. I'll still have the other bassoon, though, so I'm not quitting---you'll be able to hear about plenty more bassoon drama later. I need a couple days to focus on something else, like piano.

BEEEAST!!!

6 comments:

Proud Dad said...

Great job Annabelle! You are a great bassoonist and great daughter. Wish I could have been there to see and hear your performance in person.
Love ya kido

Mimmie Boyd said...

WOW!! You knocked my socks off! That was a great performance. Congratulations on your award. You most certainly deserve it. I love you.

Aunt Teresa said...

Awesome!

Papa Boyd said...

Annabelle, you are something else! So let's see--last year oboe, this year bassoon . . . I think next year you ought to go for the Triple Crown and learn bagpipes!
Congratulations on a great job and on your award!

from Illinois said...

That was really terrific! I thoroughly enjoyed your performance.

Hmmm, he may have something there. You know bagpipes even have their own set of socks-just usually not purple! :)

Alicebelle said...

Thanks everyone! :) And that is rather true, Illinois...and they *could* be purple. I've seen lime green clarinets, so who knows?