Thursday, June 25, 2009

Contacts and braces

What this post was supposed to be about, but my mom already mentioned those. She didn't say, though, that the world through contacts is kind of like HD TV except its the entire world. I'm still getting used to them, and they're quite strange...and the braces just plain hurt.

However, I suppose now I should say that, as everyone seems to know, today was not a good day in Celebrity World. To think that Farra Fawcett and Michael Jackson are dead is just completely unreal. I mean, one of the originals on Charlie's Angels and the King of Pop? They're like Steve Irwin, supposed to stay alive because tabloids can't stop posting about them.

I do realize that Jackson got himself into several...precarious situations, but it bugs me immensly when people talk about how the world is a "better place" without such a "terrible person". He was an American Icon with more talent than almost anyone on the music scene today, and was also among the first to really raise awareness of problems such as AIDS and famine in countries like Ethiopia ("We Are the World", anyone?) There were actual reasons behind the change in his skin color and his nose.

We're leaving for Florida/Fort Benning tomorrow and I really do hope a lot of the "celebration" has died down. Until then, I'll probably be taking Motrin and drinking milkshakes in the car.

2 comments:

Quinndini ;) said...

well said annabelle. everyone is always saying that they're glad to be rid of Michael Jackson, but he's one of those few artists where I haven't listened to one song of his that I didn't want to jump up and start dancing to. His songs were unique and amazing, songs that nobody else could ever accomplish. Plus, he has more talent than all the singers today combined. I mean, sure, he did have a few, cough, predicaments, but I know I've done several stupid things, and when I die I wouldn't want people to remember those first and then say the world is rid of me, ya know?
PS- I loved eating pudding my first couple of weeks with braces on ;)

Alicebelle said...

Amen to that! :D