Thursday, June 5, 2008

Random Reports

Today was a rather mixed bag. Not so much that there was good and bad, more that the events were of mixed...genres.

Item the First: We went to the local library, which was having a "Bags of Books" sale on used books. Personally, I thought a better title would be "If you can find the book you want, you can buy it for uber-cheap", but I suppose the first is a bit easier to remember.

I was looking around for Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, but struck out. However, I got a few rather nice titles, and my mom got TONS (I found Angela's Ashes just in the nick of time). However, I'm happy with what I got: Hunchback of Notre Dame, Nanny Diaries, and Animal Farm. I probably got more, but those were the highlights. This is really good, because I've finished both books I took here!

Item the Second: I tried playing the organ for the first time today. It took a lot of experimenting and trial-and-error before I decided that I'd stick with piano for awhile. I want to be able to play organ, but with a loudness pedal, who knows how many switches, two keyboards, AND a large series of wooden pedals for your feet that are basically a deeper version of the keyboard! I might wind up taking lessons someday, but for now I'll stick to piano, that you very much.

Item the Third: I finished the book I started yesterday. It was called Escape by Carolyn Jessop, and it was a memoir about the group of Mormons (Or previous Mormons---I can't remember) in Utah and Arizona. It was really well written, but not for the soft-hearted. It's thrilling, interesting, but most of all WEIRD. It gets a lot slower towards the end (She kept needing money and---surprise, surprise---kept getting it. It seemed a bit fictional), but overall it was a rather good read. However, I think I need something a little bit lighter---Nanny Diaries might be next on my book queue.

No comments: