Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Everybody Look Left

Last winter, I joined a weekly theatre group in Louisville called Broadway Bootcamp. Everyone who worked there had professional theatre experience (one even understudied on Broadway), so there was a lot of expertise floating about. There were classes in dance, singing, and acting, and at the end of the day, we put all three together to work on our "open classroom", which would be at the end of the program to show our parents what we learned.

This summer, I signed up for the 2-week season. Instead of various songs for the shows that would be performed by Music Theatre Louisville, we focused on the lion King, as the national tour had stopped in Louisville for about 6 weeks. We also did a song from Barnum for good measure.

The finished product ended up being incredible, and we performed it on Sunday night, right before the amphitheatre's showing of Hello, Dolly!. One neat effect of doing songs from one show is that we could put them in order and act out major scenes, so it was almost like a miniature version of Lion King.

My five minutes of fame (which was actually quite some time) was when I played Rafiki in the scene where Rafiki tells Simba to go back to Pride Rock, become king, and face his uncle. I was a bit worried about it, though, because it kept changing! I did end up performing it correctly (I think.)

By the way, I found these videos on YouTube. You should watch them.













No comments: